The Order of the Dragon's Pearls was formerly known as the Order of the Albion Light. It was formed to recognize
outstanding achievement in the arts & sciences in the Barony. Members of the Order are proficient in several
disciplines and committed to sharing their skills and knowledge. As a polling order, current members recommend
selected individuals for admission to the Order to the Their Excellencies. Although Pearl meetings are restricted to
members of the order, anyone with recommendations or requests of the Pearls of the Dragon may ask a member of the
order to bring it before the membership.
Insignia of the order includes the display of a pearl held in a Dragon's Claw, or, formerly, a pearl necklace or other
display of pearls.
The Order awards The Light of Scholarship as special recognition for the runner-up in the Baronial A&S Championship.
Since the Order of the Dragon's Pearls is a polling order, the criteria for
membership may seem akin to those of some secret lodge, but the reality is that we look for specific qualities to
guide our choices. Not only is a certain competency in the arts and sciences required but also both a breadth and depth
of knowledge and skill. Finally we seek those who have crossed a certain difficult to define line from superior
craftsmanship or even artistry to a scholar of their specialty. Hallmarks of this achievement include:
- Content focuses in multiple areas (at least three). Skill in at least one focus will rise to a level analogous
to deadly on the field. A second area should attain at least a competent rating and skill in a third will rise above
the novice level.
- A depth of knowledge in their chosen fields reflected by research, including a familiarity with and an ability to
use primary source materials
- A willingness to share their skills and knowledge through teaching, in particular within the Barony. This can be
either formal classes, informal classes, individual instruction or even impromptu demonstrations and discussion.
- Inclusion in the Order is not to be considered a reward for doing one's job, such as a guildhead or officer. Nor
is winning an A&S competition considered criteria for inclusion.
- THL Rycheza z Polska, Pearl Primus: Inducted Last Chance AS XXX (1995). Specialities: Costuming, Persona Development, Culinary
- THL Adrianne Barclay of Dunnotter: Inducted Last Chance AS XXX (1995). Specialities: Costuming, Persona Development, Culinary
- Murakami Tsuruko Sensei: Inducted Yule AS XXX (1995). Specialities: Costuming, Research, Calligraphy and
Illuminations, Persona Development
- THL Inga Calle: Inducted Yule AS XXX (1995). Specialities: Persona Development, Embroidery, Costuming
- Dame Ellen Lettice Fraser: Inducted Date unclear, perhaps 1996. Specialities: Lace, Fiber Arts, Costuming, Culinary
- Lady Roxanne de la Lionne Blanche: Inducted date unclear perhaps 1996. Currently on Hiatus.
- Lord Alrikr af Sjarnaheimi: Induction date unclear ('96-97?). Currently inactive
- THL Mariette Devienne: Inducted Yule XXXV 2000. Specialities: Costume, Scribal, Herbs, Beadwork
- Dame Gwenllyen (Gwen the) Potter: Inducted Yule AS XXXVII (2002). Specialities: Pottery, Research, Costuming
- HE Siobhan Ruadh ni Mhathglamhana: Inducted Yule XXXVII (2002). Currently inactive.
- THL Mateusz z Plocka: Inducted Last Chance XXXIX (2004). Specialities: Woodworking, Brewing, Research
- THL Aelianora de Wintringham: Inducted Junefaire XXXXI (2006.) Specialities: Stitchery/Embroidery, Cheesemaking, Research
- THL Skadi of Three Trees: Inducted Yule, XXXXI (2006).
Specialities: Knitting, Norse Culture and persona development, Costuming
- Signora Altaliana (Talia) de Segna: Inducted Last Chance XXXXI (2006)
Specialities: Costuming, Bardic Arts, Cosmetics, Persona Development
- THL Renart the Fox de Berwyk: Inducted Junefaire AS LXII (2007) Specialities: Scribal Arts, Embroidery, Lampwork
- THL Kassandra of Dragons's Laire: Inducted Junefaire AS LXII (2007) Specialities: Bobbin Lace, Bookbinding, Costuming
- THL Arion The Wanderer Inducted Last Chance AS LXII (2007) Specialities: Wood carving, Norse Culture
- THL Pernell Camber Inducted Yule AS 42 (2007) Specialities: Shoemaking, costuming
- Countess Laurellen de Brandevin Inducted Junefaire AS 43 (2008) Specialities, Costuming, Persona Development, Fiber Arts
- THL Alaricus Simmonds Inducted Yule AS XLIII (2008)
- THL Alis inghean Ruaidhri Inducted Yule AS XLIV (2009)
- Master Arontius of Bygelswade Inducted Yule AS XLIV (2009)
- THL Anne Brynley Inducted Sep. 18 2010 ASXLV (2010) Specialities: Calligraphy, Illumination, Costuming
- THL Madrun Gwehyddes Inducted Nov 13 2010 AS XLV (2010)
- Master Hrollaugr Njálsson Inducted November AS XLVII 2012
Copyright © 2013, Barony of Dragon's Laire. The original contributors retain copyright to
certain portions of this site. Contact the
Dragon's Laire Webminister for information on using photographs, articles,
or artwork from this website.